Greenwood area patients ask about the symptoms of TMD
Dr. Christopher T. Griffin is a Greenwood area dentist who has helped patients discover the source of common dental problems and discomfort. When patients are dealing with pain that is radiating around the jaw joint, also known as the TMJ (temporomandibular joint), they may be dealing with TMD. TMD stands for temporomandibular disorder. When this problem arises, patients are able to receive an examination, diagnosis, and treatment suggestions from Dr. Christopher T. Griffin.
TMD is a more common problem than patients realize. It is a result of malfunction around the temporomandibular joint. Malfunctioning of this joint can cause patients to experience a myriad of problems such as:
- The inability to open and close the jaw
- Pain around the joint which can carry down to the neck and shoulders
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Wear and tear on the natural teeth
- Discomfort when eating, speaking, or yawning
- Cracking or popping sounds when the joint is in motion
- Misalignment of the upper and lower dental arch
Dr. Christopher T. Griffin is trained and experienced in assisting patients with issues surrounding their TMJ. An examination can be combined with x-rays, as well as a medical background review, to diagnose temporomandibular disorder accurately. If confirmed, a variety of treatment options can be discussed and they may include:
- Dental work – dental work such as the placement of crowns, bridges, or even orthodontics can help improve the appearance and function of the smile while repairing any damage that has occurred
- Special mouth guards – mouth guards may be worn by patients overnight who have issues that contribute to bruxism, known as the clenching or grinding of the teeth overnight
- Pharmaceuticals – prescription medications may be used to control pain, or even to manage anxiety or depression that can result in stress that aggravates the condition
If you live in or around the area of Greenwood, SC and believe you may be dealing with TMJ issues, contact Dr. Christopher T. Griffin toady. We welcome new patients.
Back to TMJ & TMD Page